9.07.2006

Blah-g of the day...being a UM Blogger

Why would I want to be a blogger? (Other than the obvious reasons of fame and fortune of course) Well being a blogger isn't all its cracked up to be. Do you know how hard it is to come up with something new and exciting to tell the world that people would actually be interested in reading? Besides I'm not a writer, but I do dabble in blogging on Myspace, so how hard could it be? Just tell a story...okay, here goes.

I remember my first year at the University of Montana. I was actually attending the College of Technology at the time but that's beside the point. Actually, that does relate to the story so it is actually a part of the point. Anyways, back to the track I was on. Oh yeah, being a COT student I had to make the commute from Aber Hall to the COT East Campus everyday. Seeing as how I didn't have a car I had the always interesting delight of riding on the Mountain Line public transit system. This meant sometimes sitting around in one of those little bus huts for close to an hour waiting for a ride to or from campus. With this kind of time on your hands, you learn really quickly to always have something to read. And I found solace in the pages of the Montana Kaimin. I found particular solace every Wednesday when Luke Johnson's weekly column "Uncle Luke" was published. There was something addicting about Luke's crazy antics. His imagination crossed the bounds of the normalism that the other Kaimin writers had (yes I realize normalism is not a real word, but it just fits). I soon started telling the other girls on my floor about Luke's column. Pretty soon we would spend our Wednesday afternoons talking about "Uncle Luke's" latest column. I told myself that if I ever had the chance, I wanted to have my own "Uncle Luke" type of column. I wanted people to find joy and humor in my perception of this world we live in.

So when I saw the position of Student Blogger posted on the UM student employment website it was like the gates of heaven opened up, a choir of angels started singing, and God's voice rang down with "Annette, you should apply." (Okay, so it was actually my roommate's door opening up, his music playing in the background and him saying, "Yeah, that would be a cool job." But the whole heaven and angels thing sounded way better.)

As I thought more and more about the gig, I tried to think of 15 different things I could write about since there are 15 weeks in a semester after all. Here are some of the topics I came up with: Hiking the M, Griz Football, MontPirg, ASUM, The campus slackliners, John at LaPeak (maybe a bio or interview, everyone loves him), The pros and cons of living in each dorm, The Rolling Stones Concert (of course), Exploring the Drama/Dance department, What life is really like in the Greek system, and the list goes on. Can you imagine how many people would be learning about aspects of campus that they never would have even considered exploring if it hadn’t been for my blog? Now that's cool. Changing the world one blog at a time...I think Uncle Luke would be proud.

No comments: