2.23.2007

Life Across the Pond

Okay, first off, I just want to clarify that I really don't like the saying "Across the Pond" but apparently everyone I know finds it to be an endearing term when referring to the UK. (This is where I clarify that the Atlantic is an Ocean...not a pond...which is obvious and everyone knows this so wouldn't it be more appropriate to say "across the ocean" or "on the other side of the world" instead of "across the pond"??? Just a thought...) Anyhow, I've learned to embrace it when friends back home ask me how life is "across the pond." And I must say, life across the pond is pretty dang awesome.

Today wrapped up the fourth week of classes here at the University of Wales-Aberytstwyth. It has been an interesting four weeks to say the least. I've learned a lot--not necessarily in my classes but in more of a cultural adaptation/life lessons kind of way. Everyday I have conversations with new people from all across the world. For example, over the course of my day today, I met a girl from Germany in my morning tutorial class. Then I chatted with two American girls at the campus coffee shop. When I went to my afternoon lecture I sat with two students from the Netherlands. And after the lecture I spoke with my lecturer, who is from Northern Ireland, about places to visit in Ireland. All of these different cultures intertwine into my daily life here in Aberystwyth. It's just one of the benefits that come from studying abroad.
In addition to learning about other countries and cultures, I am taking interesting courses while here. All of my classes (or modules as they are called here) are business related. The main difference when compared to my classes at the University of Montana is that there is not nearly as much coursework. Of the five modules I'm taking, the final grades are based off of a combination of one final exam, one essay, presentations, reports, and a case analysis. There is no homework during the semester other than weekly readings. On one hand, it makes the week-to-week student life a lot less stressful. But one of my modules is graded based on a final exam worth 100%. It's a bit intimidating to know that my entire grade rests on the results of one test; but also nice to know that I don't have to worry about mid-terms, quizzes, homework and the like.

Now that I'm settled into life here in Aberystwyth I'm looking forward to doing some traveling. There are castles nearby that are a quick train ride away and various other tourist attractions. Hopefully by the next time you hear from me, I'll have some exciting pictures to show off. Until then, here are a few pictures of one of my favorite parts of Aberystwyth: sunsets over the Irish Sea. Signing off....

No comments: